Tortas de papa are a really simple side dish to make a long with a soup, like the post i’m writing about next week! The tortas are practically potato patties, and go amazing with salsa de molcajete! My mom would always make this dish when my sister and I were sick because it went super well with a vegetable oil.
- About 10 potatoes
- 4 eggs
- Corn oil
- Handful of grated Cheese ( we used mozzarella)
- Wash all the potatoes thoroughly.
- Cook the potatoes by boiling them until they are soft
- When the potatoes are done being cooked, place them in a bowl and let them cool until they are manageable.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, then peel off the potato skin.
- Place all the peeled potatoes in an empty container.
- Add a pinch of salt to the potatoes.
- Mash up the potatoes.
- Add 2 eggs into the potato mix.
- Mash the mix well until all chunks are removed.
- Add the grated cheese into the mix as well.
- Add flour into a small bowl and 2 eggs in another small bowl
- Mix the 2 eggs
- Form the potatoes into a patty shape once there are no big chunks of potatoes.
- Cover the patties with egg, then cover it with flour
- Once all the patties are formed pour some oil in a saucepan
- Fry the patties until they are light brown ( this will be super fast if the oil is hot), make sure to be careful when flipping the patties, since the oil can jump!
- When the patties are ready, remove from the saucepan and place onto a plate with napkins to soak up the excess oil.
- You are ready to enjoy the delicious tortas de papa! It goes well with lettuce, spinach, and salsa de molcajete!