Caldo de verdura is a warm vegetable soup, perfect for a cold and rainy day! My mom would always make this soup when my sister and I were sick. This meal serves about 15 people.
- A package of small carrots
- 2 chayotes
- 3 corns
- 7 peeled tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves
- 3 potatoes
- A package of mushrooms
- 2 handfuls of spinach
- 1 red pepper
- 2 handfuls of green beans
- 2 calabasas (green squash)
- A pot full of caldo de pollo
- Begin by washing all your vegetables
- Boil el caldo de pollo (this is just the water in which the chicken was boiled)
- You will begin to put the hardest vegetables into the caldo, beginning with the corn when the caldo begins to boil (the corn would be cut off the cob)
- Pour in the carrots (baby carrots)
- Pour the chayotes in (cut into small pieces)
- Pour the green beans (cut in half)
- While the vegetables are in their caldo getting soft, begin to prepare the sauce. by blending 3 garlic cloves, 7 tomatoes, and a tiny piece of onion, once all blended, pour into another saucepan to get heated.
- Add bell peppers into the caldo (cut in tiny pieces)
- Add mushrooms (cut in halves)
- Once the sauce is hot and boiled, add it into the caldo.
- The soup would begin to look like this.
- Add the squash (cut into quarters)
- Add potatoes (cut the same size as squash)
- Add spinach leaves
- Let the soup heat up and you will klnow it is ready when the potatoes are easy to chew
- Serve in a bowl, you can add chicken on top for flavor.